is a scythe.

This

is not a scythe. It's a bardiche.

Still Here,

Patrick

Sat 02 Aug 2008 9:13 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Off My Chest
And honestly, even if you aren't up on your obscure weapon types, it looks like a nifty battle-axe, not like a scythe at all.

The only explanation I can think of is that someone said something that was cut before filming/airing. Maybe that it would cut through demons like a scythe through wheat. Or maybe that with it Buffy'd be a Grim Reaper for demons. In that case, "scythe" is a name, not a description of its weapon type.

Either that or Joss just has no freakin' idea what a scythe is at all.

Sat 02 Aug 2008 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Apprentice

Howard wrote:
or Joss just has no freakin' idea what a scythe is at all.

This is the most likely answer.

He probably told the special effects/props guys that he needed a "cool looking weapon" for Buffy, and that is what they came up with. I like your idea that "Scythe" was a name, not a type of weapon.

Of course, it is supposed to be many thousands of years old and a bardiche as a weapon type is apparently less than a thousand years old. This thing is basically a wide bladed axe with a long handle ending in a wooden stake.

It's also an ugly weapon, IMHO. It has that sci-fi/fantasy drooling fanboi look to it. But not in a good way. It isn't the tool of a working warrior.

Standing On Boxes

Sat 02 Aug 2008 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Master

No kidding, the axe/stake-combo-of-dumb was something that always bugged me. T'is why in my fic I actually had Buffy gain a true scythe. My drawing below is what i imaged the scythe to look like.

Attachments:
scythe--slightly cleaned.jpg
scythe--slightly cleaned.jpg [ 49.14 KiB | Viewed 8999 times ]

Sat 02 Aug 2008 1:05 pm
Journeyman

My issue with the weapon is that although it's supposedly wicked, wicked old... it looks too fancy (or dare I say even futuristic).

I've never read Fray so I may be wrong but wasn't there some influence b/w what she used and this thing?

You'd think there'd be a bit more primitiveness to it (i.e. like http://www.screencap-paradise.com/caps/albums/Series/Buffy/Buf_S4/Buf_422restless/buffy422_136.jpg courtesy of First Slayer) rather than looking like Warren or Jonathan or Andrew got their grubby paws on it and made it sleek.

Sat 02 Aug 2008 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

DawnBTVS wrote:
My issue with the weapon is that although it's supposedly wicked, wicked old... it looks too fancy (or dare I say even futuristic).

I laughed my ass off over it personally. The prop guy should've been shot. I'm thinking execution style, a double tap to the back of the head. I know it wasn't his fault, but it would've made me feel better.

Polished, anodized aluminum: both material and processes that have been used in weapon's crafting since the dawn of time.

I made that comment to Howard, I believe and factoid monger that he is, he replied with this: Napoleon had a set of aluminum dishes. Aluminum at the time was considered a precious metal. A little later in our history we figured out just how much of it there was and now...pop cans. Dunno how true it is, but--

*shakes head*

Val

Sat 02 Aug 2008 9:31 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Master

When I first saw it, I always thought it looked like a designer fire axe stuck in a big lump of toffee waiting for Buffy to pull it out. And what is up with that? Excalibur much? It really annoyed me when the wee Guardian biddy popped up and banged on and on about 'Watching the Watchers' and blah de blah but didn't hold the stoopid fire axe herself. She just hung out in her cozy knock off pyramid themed crypt and knitted cobwebs or something.

Personally, I wished they'd have given Buffy a big ol' spiky stake. Like Mr Pointy on steroids. Preferably made from the bones of the First Slayer and did nifty disturbing things like drip blood, whisper in her head and pulsate with its insatiable hunger for dark souls. That would have been neat. Especially if Buffy's all "Ewwww... Couldn't you have given me a nicer ultimate weapon, like an axe or a shiny sword or something? At least one that doesn't leak?"

The snarky TV review site, 'Television Without Pity' pretty much nailed it when they called it 'Buffy and The Little Red Axe That Could'

Sun 03 Aug 2008 4:30 am
Master

I Have a gift for you. It is a weapon forged eons ago, for the slayer alone. Lost for centuries. Carry it, for it is your sword and your scepter. Let it proclaim you the hero -- and the monster -- that you will need to be. -- Urkonn

This is the first image of the scythe in Buffyverse canon from the march 2002 issue of Fray. While it does have a sceptery feel to it, it's clearly not a sword. Joss never new what it was, or what it should be called. I have no idea what Joss wrote in the script for a description, but that's what Karl Moline drew. At least it all red metal here. LOL.

M

Sun 03 Aug 2008 5:24 am
Apprentice

em wrote:
This is the first image of the scythe in Buffyverse canon from the march 2002 issue of Fray. While it does have a sceptery feel to it, it's clearly not a sword.

When held that way, it actually makes sense as a vampire slayer weapon. Stake first, the blade has more of a secondary nature. More like a hand guard or for defensive moves. If only it didn't look so fanboi-ish.

Standing On Boxes

Sun 03 Aug 2008 2:24 pm
Profile WWW