It is currently Thu 19 Oct 2017 3:10 am

Uhm...yeah...I'm not sure how to feel about this... 
Master

Post Uhm...yeah...I'm not sure how to feel about this...
Buffy Movie

Is that a good thing or a bad thing...and they're talking about replacing the actors with who ever...

hmmm...

Thoughts from anyone paying attention?

Whedonist

Tue 26 May 2009 12:27 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Post Re: Uhm...yeah...I'm not sure how to feel about this...
Quote:
A new incarnation of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" could be coming to the big screen.

"Buffy" creator Joss Whedon isn't involved and it's not set up at a studio, but Roy Lee and Doug Davison of Vertigo Entertainment are working with original movie director Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui, on what is being labeled a remake or relaunch, but not a sequel or prequel.

While Whedon is the person most associated with "Buffy," Kuzui and her Kuzui Enterprises have held onto the rights since the beginning, when she discovered the "Buffy" script from then-unknown Whedon. She developed the script while her husband put together the financing to make the 1992 movie, which was released by Fox.

Kuzui later teamed with Gail Berman, then president of Sandollar Television, bringing back Whedon to make the TV series, which was produced by Fox TV and launched on the WB in 1997. Kuzui and Sandollar received executive producer credits on "Buffy" and its spinoff, "Angel."

The new "Buffy" film, however, would have no connection to the TV series, nor would it use popular supporting characters like Angel, Willow, Xander or Spike. Vertigo and Kuzui are looking to restart the story line without trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon, putting the parties in a similar situation faced by Paramount, J.J. Abrams and his crew when relaunching "Star Trek."

One of the underlying ideas of "Buffy" allows Vertigo and Kuzui to do just that: that each generation has its own vampire slayer to protect it. The goal would be to make a darker, event-sized movie that would, of course, have franchise potential.

The parties are meeting with writers and hearing takes, and later will look for a home for the project. The producers do not rule out Whedon's involvement but have not yet reached out to him.Speaking from Tokyo, Fran Kuzui said the company is constantly approached not only about sequels but theater, video games and foreign remakes for "Buffy." When Vertigo's Lee contacted them, they were intrigued.

"It was Roy's interest in taking Buffy into a new place that grabbed us," she said, noting that original exec producer Sandy Gallin also was consulted. "It was based on our respect for what he does, and his particular sensitivity to Asian filmmakers, that we wanted to work with him."

Kuzui, who is prepping do direct a movie in Japan in the fall, added: "Everything has its moment. Every movie takes on a life at some point, and this seems like the moment to do this."

What I read here is that they intend to use the character Buffy, but none of the supporting cast from the show. Of course, they'll have to recast the role. I bet Kristy Swanson is available.

It looks none too shiny to me.

Now it could actually be quite good if they were to go backward or even forward with the time line. There's plenty of storytelling opportunities in the Buffyverse. Gobs of them.

If they have two braincells to rub together to keep a thought warm, they'll do that.

Whatcha think the odds are?

Personally, I think my chances of winning the lottery are better. And I don't play.

Val

Tue 26 May 2009 5:54 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Master

Yo:

This just in, they've already posted a publicity shot of the newly cast, totally reinvinted Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

While some loser fanboys will no doubt protest, it cannot be proven that Buffy wasn't a twelve year old boy in the series, and furthermore this reflects a true gender-blindness in casting and in Hollywood in general.

Still Here,

Patrick

Thu 28 May 2009 7:54 am
Master

... *blink*... ok i could see how itd be cool to show a slayer from asia, but to make it a 12 yr old gender ambiguous child is just fuckin stupid. i dont care what has to happen, just as long as this idiocy of an idea is stopped well before anything any more damaging can be done. im not normally one for shooting an idea in the head before its even fully formed, but seriously!

Sun 07 Jun 2009 11:50 am
Apprentice

like I said on another forum:

Quote:
if Season 8 and Dollhouse is any indication, the "almighty" Joss Whedon has sadly lost his magic touch.

and if, against all odds, this "reboot" doesn't become a horrid camp-fest, it could actually be an awesome experience! no Buffy, no Scoobies, no Angel or Spike, but a pure reboot, set in the same universe with the same "rules", so to speak.

I will watch it.

I won't get my hopes up, but I'll watch it!

also:

Quote:
What I read here is that they intend to use the character Buffy, but none of the supporting cast from the show.

I read it as "it has no connection to the show"

could be interpreted as only Buffy but no Scoobs, but I hope it means no Buffy and nothing whatsoever from the show (or the 92 film, for that matter *shudder*)

also, that asian kid has nothing to do with the new Buffy. you're a LIAR! :p

Mon 08 Jun 2009 3:29 pm
Apprentice

Jin Hayte wrote:
I read it as "it has no connection to the show"

could be interpreted as only Buffy but no Scoobs, but I hope it means no Buffy and nothing whatsoever from the show (or the 92 film, for that matter *shudder*)

They don't even have a script yet. It's the typical 'lets see who's interested in giving us money for this idea" kind of nonsense. It could take years to come up with anything.

By which point the whole 'sparklepire' thing (teen vampire romance) they are trying to get in on will hopefully be over.

It would be a remake of the movie. Only. And considering it would be by the same people who took the original dark comedy that Joss intended and turned it into a cheesy teen movie (I liked the movie but art it isn't.)...

My understanding (limited since I'm not a Hollywood accountant/lawyer ) is that it would only be a movie remake (yes, the 1992 thing) due to licensing issues. They couldn't use the tv characters (Willow, Xander, Giles, etc.) if they wanted to. The people with rights to do whatever with the movie are a different crowd from the tv people.

And, of course, who'd going to go see it? It's the tv show that is the "cult classic", not the movie. The 'built-in' audience they are probably using to sell the idea wouldn't go near it if the Scoobies or Spike aren't in it.

Standing On Boxes

Tue 09 Jun 2009 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Journeyman

Greetings,

Quote:
This just in, they've already posted a publicity shot of the newly cast, totally reinvinted Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

I'm so proud. Patrick has mastered the art of segue humor.

I remain, as always,
Mad-Hamlet

Fri 19 Jun 2009 7:24 pm
Master

Yo:

Unconditional, unqualified praise from Mad-Hamlet?

I'm so honored.... :cry:

Still Here,

Patrick

Thu 25 Jun 2009 11:12 am